GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Magellan > Transferring POI's from PC to GPS

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Magellan forum   Reply to topic Transferring POI's from PC to GPS

y_m

Post Transferring POI's from PC to GPS     

I'm new to the GPS world, so please bear with me!

I've managed to find the POI file I want. I've edited it to the proper format (.gpx) I can see the file in the POI file editor.

The problem I have is:

When I click the green arrow to transfer the file it prompts me to save it. I do. Then, nothing happens.

How do I get the file from my PC to my GPS unit using a USB cord?

perrdom

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 760 & Magellan RoadMate 860T

Post Try converting to CSV format     

Try converting POI files to CSV format.
I am not sure Magellans can use GPX files.

drsykotic

GPS: Garmin 255W

Post Re: Transferring POI's from PC to GPS     

Magellan uses .poi files on the unit itself and .mgln files on an SD/MMC disk. If you plug your GPS into your PC your GPS is now an external USB drive with files on it. If you look at the files you'll see a .poi file which contains all the POI's from the factory.

Find "Magellan POI Editor". Install the software to add Magellan custom POI's. The software will convert .CSV (comma separated variables - like Excel) files to .MGLN files.

For custom points (.mgln files), load them onto an SD disk. You can get them with a SD USB reader. You can buy a 1 to 4 GB SD disk, plug it into the USB reader then load the custom points. You can then plug the SD disk into the slot on your GPS.
To prevent data loss, don't forget to lock the SD before putting into the slot (there's a small white slide switch on the SD to lock it).

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Magellan forum Reply to topic Transferring POI's from PC to GPS
Home > GPS Forum > Magellan > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: Transferring POI's from PC to GPS | Magellan forum