GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > TomTom > Car chargers do not work

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in TomTom forum   Reply to topic Car chargers do not work

barry3333

GPS: one xl

Post Car chargers do not work     

My tom tom car charger died. No green light. Good fuse.

So I tried a few of my other USB car chargers and none work. I get the green light on the Tom tom but it will not turn on.

Whats so special about the tom tom charger?

Post Re: Car chargers do not work     

barry3333 wrote:
whats so special about the tom tom charger?

Nothing at all, I have used generic USB car chargers with my 730 before Smile

smwoon

GPS: TomTom GO 910

Does anyone know if generic chargers work with TomTom GO 910? Am thinking to get one cigarette lighter charger that does all - for GPS, iPod, phone, etc. Currently have only one socket and trying to avoid getting these dual adaptor things which is bulky.

Hi
I'm working for a couple of months now with a charger like that on my Tomtom GO (as well as htc with build in tomtom).

LMOF

Post Different car     

Did you try the cable on another car just for testing? Maybe its bad contact.

soeasygps

GPS: TomTom 930T

Post universal     

You can use all mini usb cable with TT, all is compatible. If you have a tomtom one, be careful, the hole of the mini usb plug is very deep.

barry3333

GPS: one xl

Post special pinouts?     

I had to buy another generic GPS style charger. Not sure why some USB style chargers dont work. They all work with other items, like my phones etc.

syd_norton3

GPS: Nuvi 760

barry3333 wrote:
My tom tom car charger died. No green light. Good fuse.

So I tried a few of my other USB car chargers and none work. I get the green light on the Tom tom but it will not turn on.

Whats so special about the tom tom charger?

Whilst in Darwin last week I dropped in a Camera shop and listened to a guy and saleslady whilst waiting to be served. He had a sd card error, got good news on that and then moved on to buy a new usb cord for his Camera as had misplaced his original.
Lady explained that not all the usb cable (small end fittings) were the same). Some are tighter fit and some are slightly longer than others and consequently people have tried to push them into the device further than they should go, so be aware.
She tried 2 before she was satisfied that she gave the customer the right one for his Camera. Guess it could be same with some GPS devices. Something I didn't know and will look at if I need a new cable anytime.
syd

tigang

Going back to the original post... could it be that your TomTom has a problem that caused the original charger to blow, which is why it still wont work with a generic one?

wayne.hodder3

GPS: TomTom VIA280

Post Battery?     

Internal battery has probably died...

Suggest warranty job if still within the timeline, otherwise you should be able to get a phone doctor to fit a new one if you're not adventurous enough yourself ;-P

nicholasdavidroberts

GPS: PDA

I wouldn't expect the internal battery to die suddenly, they usually progressively lose their capacity. Presumably this problem occurred suddenly?

By the way... if you do ever change the battery, read the thread on TomTom battery problems and be VERY careful not to short circuit a lithium battery!

stebbing3

GPS: Tomtom v3

Anonymous wrote:
barry3333 wrote:
whats so special about the tom tom charger?

Nothing at all, I have used generic USB car chargers with my 730 before Smile

I have used generic charger before they work great until they cook your device.

grantdale49

GPS: xl340

Post Tomtom Car Charger Issues     

I am currently using a generic car charger on an XL 340 model and have been for the past year. To date there have been no issues. I also recharge the 340 on a generic 240 volt charger at home with no issues to date.

funkyfreshjon

GPS: Tom Tom One

Post yes a generic usb charger will work     

Yes, a generic USB charger will work, as long it provides enough power to the TOMTOM. I have been using a charger for a Moto V3 Razr for a couple of years now.

Lynne Bay

Post Tomtom not working     

I have a tomtom one XL with only a car charger. I've had it several years and I can't find its box or anything else. Could it be the charger? It has an orange light on charger but the tomtom isn't responded and doesn't turn on?

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in TomTom forum Reply to topic Car chargers do not work
Home > GPS Forum > TomTom > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: Car chargers do not work | TomTom forum