GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Garmin > Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Garmin forum   Reply to topic Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation

vanners888

GPS: nuvi 765T

Post Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation     

I find that my 765T tries to send me in some strange directions when I set it for a destination that I have travelled previously and know the actual route to take. I have the unit set for "Faster Time" route and if I took notice of the directions the unit wanted me to take is a longer route and it would not be quicker. The map set is Australia & New Zealand 2010. Any suggestions why this may be happening.?

johmazz2006

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765, Garmin 3950LMT, Garmin 2455LMT, Navman40, Garmin StreetPilot 3

Post navigation     

All brands seem to do the same, BUT, having said that, the fastest route CAN be a longer route. i.e. down a 110kph highway as opposed to shorter distance back roads. Knowing and understanding that there GPS systems we buy are not foolproof, I always have a quick look at a map to get a basic bearing as to where I WANT TO END UP.. Laughing

samintool

Post Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation     

Yes, fastest route can be a longer route because of lesser traffic lights and school zones.

life.by

GPS: COMAND SYSTEM; Garmin Nuvi 3790T

Post Re: Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation     

Hi, New map have been released, so go to update it.

I have the same problem as yours, then fix it now.

Read my threads:

https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/5022.html

and

https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/viewtopic.php?t=4851&start=15

they would help you to solve the problem.

hatchm

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 3790T

Post Fastest Route vs Shorter Distance     

The comments made are correct. Fastest routes include roads with higher speed limits, on the assumption that you will get there faster, all things being equal. I changed my Nuvi 3790T settings to go by shortest distance and in my local area, it takes me along routes that I normally choose by intuition.

johmazz2006

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765, Garmin 3950LMT, Garmin 2455LMT, Navman40, Garmin StreetPilot 3

Post Re: Fastest Route vs Shorter Distance     

hatchm wrote:
The comments made are correct. Fastest routes include roads with higher speed limits, on the assumption that you will get there faster, all things being equal. I changed my Nuvi 3790T settings to go by shortest distance and in my local area, it takes me along routes that I normally choose by intuition.

Changed mine to shortest route when using it on the Sunshine Coast and it took every conceivable twist it could find. Time to get ther was more than double !!! Went through every stop sign and roundabout that it could find...

Fastest route for me every time, due to mainly using freeways/ main roads etc.

ino_4

GPS: samsung note 3

Post fastest route     

the fastest route gnlly takes you down the motorway.
less stops.
motorways often are the longer route....but more pleasant driving
you can always recalculate

ianandrose

GPS: Garmin nuvi1490T

Post Shortest vs fastest     

Had fun with shortest route in the UK (using my now superceded Tom Tom One) - it was a fun way to explore some back roads and really picturesque countryside..BUT - it included some dirt tracks and some really narrow lanes. In Oz, I've done the same in rural Australia, and be warned, if you don't like taking your car off the bitumen stick with fastest route (although that sometimes also has knobs on it in regional areas as the worst roads can still have a 100kmh speed limit)

hgmillichap

GPS: Zumo550

Post Re: Fastest Route vs Shorter Distance     

johmazz2006 wrote:
hatchm wrote:

Changed mine to shortest route when using it on the Sunshine Coast and it took every conceivable twist it could find. Time to get ther was more than double !!! Went through every stop sign and roundabout that it could find...

Fastest route for me every time, due to mainly using freeways/ main roads etc.

Don't forget that there are other variables that you can choose within the route calculations. Go into "avoidances" in Navigation and tick interstates and it will avoid interstates. If you've also got "Highways" ticked it'll probably do what you describe and take you down all the smallest roads. Pretty obvious really but plenty of people don't know what's in their unit.
So, I like the minor roads more than the major highways so I have mine set on "faster time" but with "Intertsates", "Toll roads" & "Car pool lanes" ticked. I find this setting takes me along the smaller country roads but is still pretty direct.

Rafe_D

Post faster times v shorter distance     

Gps are computers they only know what they have been programmed to know idiot proofing them is to keep you on the main roads. Secondly you may notice when you get out of a main city speed limits on the gps are not always correct I have several roads near my house that are 100 km/h and the gps says they are only 50 km/h therefore when it does its maths it thinks that 100 km/h over x amount of km is faster than 50 km/h hour over x amount of km even though the back road is 20 mins faster on a 40 min trip main roads would take 60 min. Check out the NuRoute it has self learning software to take you the way you would normally go even if you dont program it to

kenevel

GPS: Garmin 1490

Post Shortest/Fastest     

One wrong turn can have you taking every back street unknown to civilisation, then you are dependant on GPS.

johmazz2006

Post Re: faster times v shorter distance     

Rafe_D wrote:
Gps are computers they only know what they have been programmed to know idiot proofing them is to keep you on the main roads. Secondly you may notice when you get out of a main city speed limits on the gps are not always correct I have several roads near my house that are 100 km/h and the gps says they are only 50 km/h therefore when it does its maths it thinks that 100 km/h over x amount of km is faster than 50 km/h hour over x amount of km even though the back road is 20 mins faster on a 40 min trip main roads would take 60 min. Check out the NuRoute it has self learning software to take you the way you would normally go even if you dont program it to

Also, you can't blame the GPS when traffic aurthorities keep changing the speed limits every few months and the map updates are yearly, or 3 monthly if you have the lifetime upgrades. Smile

Lizzi

Post Garmin nuvi 2300 series     

Mine took me on the worst route ever last week. I should have followed my intuition and ignored it's instructions! Rolling Eyes

Boettcher

GPS: TomTom Via 1500

Post Stops count too much against a route timing in city     

GPS also adds delays for all potential stops, so it can artificially inflate the timing. I often find that minutes to destination often drop off magically if I luck out on traffic lights. On a city trip you can see fairly large arrival time changes.

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Garmin forum Reply to topic Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation
Home > GPS Forum > Garmin > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: Fastest route Vs shorter route navigation | Garmin forum