GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Speed and redlight camera POI > Providing Red Light Camera Locations

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Speed and redlight camera POI forum   Reply to topic Providing Red Light Camera Locations

defgh1

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 360

Post Providing Red Light Camera Locations     

Been trying to submit 3 new red-light cameras locations to the FL database but have been unsuccessful in 3 attempts. I am using the POI Manager but apparently I am doing something wrong in the submission! Below are the coordinates of the 3 red-light cameras installed in my small town which only has 4 traffic lights!

-82.4539644, 29.0638833,
-82.4569952, 29.0550161,
-82.4547422, 29.0599961,

Since the cameras are catching close to 1000 violators per month I would like to get them into the database! Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

defgh1

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 360

Post Providing Red Light Camera Locations     

Never mind! I just figured how to add them correctly and the 3 new Red-Light Cameras, located in Dunnellon, FL, have been added to the US Safety Camera database.

Doug

DEAN33

GPS: Tom Tom 910 and Tom Tom Toyota

Post adding red light locations     

i have some for NY can you tell me how to add them

eut123

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 265W

Post POI     

I have tried several times to add updates to the POI, but I don't seem to understand the process very well. I'll keep reading.

johmazz2006

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765, Garmin 3950LMT, Garmin 2455LMT, Navman40, Garmin StreetPilot 3

Post Re: Providing Red Light Camera Locations     

defgh1 wrote:
Never mind! I just figured how to add them correctly and the 3 new Red-Light Cameras, located in Dunnellon, FL, have been added to the US Safety Camera database.

Doug

Any chance of a detailed description on how to do it ??

Think there would be many on here willing to do so if only they knew how. Very Happy

c764

GPS: Garmin 265WT

Post Re: Providing Red Light Camera Locations     

defgh1 wrote:
Never mind! I just figured how to add them correctly and the 3 new Red-Light Cameras, located in Dunnellon, FL, have been added to the US Safety Camera database. Doug

Nobody needs to worry about stop light cameras in Florida anymore:

Florida House Votes to Ban Red Light Cameras
Florida House approves bill banning red light cameras and requiring slightly longer yellow times.

Less than a year after the Florida legislature enacted legislation authorizing the use of photo enforcement, the state House of Representatives wants to reverse course. By a 59 to 57 vote yesterday lawmakers approved a bill repealing the provisions of the Mark Wandall Act.

"The unequivocal data that I've seen is that these intersections have become more dangerous not less dangerous with the advent of red light cameras," bill sponsor Representative Richard Corcoran (R-New Port Richey) said. "All the data I've looked at has shown overwhelmingly that these intersections become less safe."

Corcoran cited several studies, including from the Virginia Department of Transportation and the University of South Florida, that showed automated ticketing failed to reduce traffic collisions (view studies). Corcoran was challenged on this point by members of his own party.

"I would ask the sponsor of the bill to verify his data," Representative Rich Glorioso (R-Plant City) said sarcastically.

Glorioso and Representative Shawn Harrison (R-Tampa) each cited alternative figures from a Florida report that they claim proved red light camera use resulted in a dramatic reduction of accidents.

"Are you aware of the National Coalition of Safer Roads study that's floating around on this side of the chamber?" asked Representative Shawn Harrison (R-Tampa). "In Temple Terrace traffic violations have dropped 65 percent since cameras went in two years ago. Accidents dropped sixteen percent."

Glorioso and Harrison neglected to mention that the National Coalition for Safer Roads is not a disinterested, independent organization. Instead, it is a front group for American Traffic Solutions (ATS), the number one provider of red light cameras in Florida. ATS paid Storm King Strategies LLC, a lobbying firm that focuses on the transportation sector, to create the group so that the firm's marketing material would appear to come from an unbiased source.

"I think it's safe to say most of the special interests are opposed to this [legislation]," Corcoran said.

Lawmakers also adopted House Bill 149, legislation that would increase the duration of yellow times at intersections by between 0.2 and 0.3 seconds, on average. It does so by requiring cities to abide by a minimum yellow time standard based on the posted speed limit, plus ten percent. The Institute of Transportation Engineers formula would be used and the result would be rounded up to the nearest half-second. No red light camera tickets could be issued unless the yellow times met these requirements.

Representative Larry Ahern (R-St. Petersburg) originally introduced legislation that would have required to be based on actual 85th percentile speed of traffic, not the speed limit which is usually far less. On average, the original version would have increased yellows by a second, matching the signal times required under the law in Georgia and Ohio.

Both bills will now be considered by state Senate. Red light camera lobbyists have been working overtime to ensure that the upper chamber does not allow these bills to reach the governor's desk. A copy of the repeal legislation is available in a 120k PDF file at the source link below.
House Bill 4087 (Florida Legislature, 5/2/2011)
Source: thenewspaper.com/news/34/3470.asp

johmazz2006

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765, Garmin 3950LMT, Garmin 2455LMT, Navman40, Garmin StreetPilot 3

Post Red light locations     

Finally, a win for the public.
Would love to see the same en-acted here in Australia, but all States and local governments see them as a CASH COW and will never get rid of them. Crying or Very sad

busotti

GPS: Garmin 1490

Post Adding multiple locations at once to database     

The Baltimore Sun newspaper has posted 80+ cameras. Is there any way to add/verify them in one fell swoop. I had entered some of these before and would rather not go through them one at a time.

coneysown

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1490lmt

Post Add Redlight camera locations     

It would be nice to see how to add camera locations to the database...Don't know about the law listed here but they are adding 30 more cameras in palm Coast , FL

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Speed and redlight camera POI forum Reply to topic Providing Red Light Camera Locations
Home > GPS Forum > Speed and redlight camera POI > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: Providing Red Light Camera Locations | Speed and redlight camera POI forum