GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Speed and redlight camera POI > State v. country level POIs

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Speed and redlight camera POI forum   Reply to topic State v. country level POIs

m_kleecker

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Post State v. country level POIs     

Newbie here. Downloading files to PC for red light cameras. If I want all the cameras in the USA database, do I have to download every single state's red light camera POI's, one at a time? Going state by state will never work (don't have the time), but that is the only way I can get anything to download - if a state if not entered, do not pass go.

Question Question Question

johmazz2006

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765, Garmin 3950LMT, Garmin 2455LMT, Navman40, Garmin StreetPilot 3

Post POI     

I would suggest that the whole database for anything in USA would take up too much space on the GPS memory. There is no way you would need ALL states at the same time, so why not just download the states that you will actually use and leave some space in the gps for extra data /poi's ??

m_kleecker

Post Re: POI     

johmazz2006 wrote:
I would suggest that the whole database for anything in USA would take up too much space on the GPS memory. There is no way you would need ALL states at the same time, so why not just download the states that you will actually use and leave some space in the gps for extra data /poi's ??

OK then, so you DO have to go state-by-state. Even for just red light cameras? Compared to all the basic map information in the GPS, I would think that USA red light camera POI data would be so puny. Not like there's hundreds of thousands of cameras. huh. Thanks for letting me know that IS how it must be done.

I downloaded (to PC) the necessary files for states which are located close to mine, in addition to my state. I put ALL the files (.bmp, .wav, .csv) into a single directory, ran POI Loader and selected this directory (NOTE: I also included the GPX files, but did not think they were needed if the .CSV's were downloaded). I now have the following new files on on my GPS, located in Garmin Nuvi\Garmin\POI:

POI.gpi (4000KB)
safety_camera_us_canada.gma (3KB)
safety_camera_us_canada.gpi (373KB)
safety_camera_us_canada.unl (1KB)

I've only looked at the \POI directory on my GPS, so far.

Does this look correct? Do I need to look in any other of my GPS's directories to see if new files were created?

Is there any way to somehow test out the POIs w/o having to drive to a red light camera? The nearest camera is 30 minutes away. Should there be icon's located on the map at each red light camera POI now? I thought that would be an easy clue to showing that the new POI's loaded successfully.

thanks

Mark

GDT

Hi m_kleecker,
You can download our Road Safety POIs at a country level. Please remove all filters (use USA POI option) and try to download the file again.

You can also add a few local test locations to the file. Try our online POI Editor: http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php .
Regards

m_kleecker

Mark wrote:
Hi m_kleecker,
You can download our Road Safety POIs at a country level. Please remove all filters (use USA POI option) and try to download the file again.

Link used:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/index.php

...... selecting USA Safety brings me to the page above. Leaving filter as "select a state" should result in obtaining all from the USA, correct? Never thought to try that. There is "USA" in one of the filter boxes - tried that, but did not work - app wanted a state.

Quote:
You can also add a few local test locations to the file. Try our online POI Editor: http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php .
Regards

Thanks. As a newbie I am just struggling to understand the standard process for getting desired POIs.

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Speed and redlight camera POI forum Reply to topic State v. country level POIs
Home > GPS Forum > Speed and redlight camera POI > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: State v. country level POIs | Speed and redlight camera POI forum