GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > Installation Support > Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Installation Support forum   Reply to topic Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files Goto page

ebu44

GPS: Garmin Drive 60

Post Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files     

Hi All,

I am pretty new to all this so be gentle please.

I have a new Garmin Drive 60 and have been puzzling out the various capabilities over the last few days. I have experimented with various options for getting reliable coverage for speed cameras, red light cameras, and combined speed and red light cameras ... but keep running into problems with duplicates.

Example - I used the global Australia wide complete set of all cameras (CAMERA-AU) and within that file I get up to 4 duplicate entries per intersection that I have checked (maybe more at some intersections). When you drive near the Melbourne CBD - it is pretty much constantly saying "Speed Camera Alert" as there are cameras everywhere and I am getting 4 alerts for each one.

Eg (Not from the CBD - but illustrates the point).
145.06224 -37.80077 Camera alert @ 60 This is where the actual camera is mounted
145.062536 -37.800818 Camera alert This is the centre of the intersection
145.0626103 -37.8007703 Camera alert @ 60 This is just past the intersection
145.0626592 -37.8007673 Safety Alert AU - 1236 This is just past the intersection

There is only 1 camera at this intersection pointing in 1 direction - but I get 4 alerts which are spread slightly apart.

I saw a suggestion that instead of using the complete set I should try just loading up the 3 individual sub files - Redlight_Camera, Speed_Camera and Speed_Red_Camera. I did this and it improved things - but I still get at least two duplicates (the first from the Speed_Camera file and the second from the Speed_Red_Camera file):

145.0626043 -37.8008123 SPEED CAMERA WARNING - BURKE RD AND HARP RD KEW EAST VIC @60
145.062552 -37.800815 REDLIGHT SPEED CAMERA KEW EAST - HARP RD & BURKE RD; KEW EAST (BALWYN) VIC

Is there any way to cull duplicates from these files without individually looking up GPS coordinates of every camera and manually deleting all the duplicates (which would take ages to do once - and would have to be redone every time a new file is downloaded)?

Don't get me wrong - if I need to hear two warnings instead of one (which is where I seem to have gotten too at the moment) - I'm ok with that (much better than the 4 warnings I was getting at first ... and the NO WARNING that my default Garmin was giving me out of the box) - but I just wanted to see if maybe I was doing something wrong and perhaps there is a better way to get a duplicate free speed / red light camera file loaded onto my Garmin.

Great website by the way - brings my dumber than expected Garmin up to a much smarter level!

Cheers,
Scott

pjrich

GPS: Garmin nuvi 2595LM

Post Duplicates in UK Speed and Red light camera file     

This is a coincidence! Whilst not in Australia but in the UK, I have experienced similar with cameras locally. In my case not with the red light cameras, but with GATSO speed cameras.

This points to the fact that many cameras are duplicated in location files.

This I find frustrating especially when I go past a local GATSO camera that gives me 4 icons.

Mark

GDT

Post Re: Duplicates     

Hi

You can find the duplicate and press the DELETE/REMOVE button: https://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/local/
Go to POI Downloads / Options and select the "Do not show removed POIs" option.

Regards

pjrich

Mark

With respect going to the link achieves nothing. We are talking about many many in different parts of the country. Everytime I go past a GATSO I see 4 icons. That cannot be correct.

ebu44

Sorry Mark - but I am having the same problems as pjrich. This website is so rich in content that it can be a little daunting for a new user trying to navigate their way around it. Maybe I should give you a little more background about how I found the duplicates and what I did with them - as I am sure I am doing this the hard way!

First - I drove around and noticed that it was happening in the real world. I made a note of some local intersections where I was receiving multiple alerts (up to 4 for a single camera location) and then came back home and used google maps to find their GPS coordinates. Next I sorted the camera csv file by GPS coords so that I could find all the entries for that location. I used your mapping tools online to be sure that what I seeing in the csv were actually duplicates. Then I manually deleted the duplicates from the csv. This is labour intensive - but does work for one or two locations (anything more and it just takes too long). Of course - it will be a nightmare to maintain every time I download an updated file from GPS-DATA-TEAM (I would need to keep a log of the duplicates and then keep manually deleting them every time I download an updated file).

Next - I tried to find other instances of this duplication in areas I drive from time to time. Using your online tools and working my way through one at a time I started to find what I suspected were duplicates - but unless I do a google street view on every one (to ensure that there is only 1 camera at an intersection) - I can't be sure that it is a duplicate or not. Again - even when I am sure and I manually delete the duplicates from the CSV - it is a temporary fix and needs to be redone every time I download a new file.

Is there a smarter way to
(a) Find the duplicates
(b) Delete the duplicates
(c) Make sure that the deleted duplicates don't just reappear next time I download an updated file?

Many thanks,
Scott

Mark

GDT

Hi

ebu44 wrote:

(a) Find the duplicates

Go to e.g. https://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_kingdom/safety/index.php?poi_data=safety&file=Red_Light_Camera-uk ,
and press the Visualiser button (members only) to see your local POIs,

ebu44 wrote:

(b) Delete the duplicates

Than press the Delete button to delete (mark as REMOVED) any duplicated POI

ebu44 wrote:

(c) Make sure that the deleted duplicates don't just reappear next time I download an updated file?

Go to POI Downloads / Setup Options and select "Do not show removed POIs"

Finally, download to your GPS the file to replace your old GPS file with a new one.

I hope it helps

pjrich

Thanks. I am a member and logged in but.....

1. Where is the visualiser button you talk about above? Not being able to locate this button on the page is a show stopper.

2. I am not talking just about LOCAL POIs. I am talking about every GATSO camera that I go past. Seeing these 4 times gives me no confidence that when I go past a GATSO say 100 miles away that it will not show up 4 times. I suspect that the same cameras appear in different files, but in saying that they would have different icons. Would they not? This is very frustrating and I am sorry to say this lowers my confidence level in the product.

3. I suspect others have the same problem, but put up with this anomaly (seeing 4 icons) or give up.

4. Perhaps the final solution (in my case) is to use only one .csv file. For example UK speed cameras POI - UK speed camera locations in a single file, instead of each separate one.

Regards

Peter

ebu44

Hey Peter - I definitely wouldn't just use one csv file (unless it was the global one with all speed, red light, speed + red light cameras). In Australia - using just one csv file means missing out on a lot of cameras. Even though there are overlaps between the various files - no one file has EVERYTHING except the global file (which has all the duplicates). So far - the closest I have come has been to download the red light, speed, and red light / speed files (and NOT the global catchall file) and it seems to reduce the duplicates but still catch everything.

On another note - today I bought a non Garmin GPS to compare against my Garmin Drive 60. I got a Navman MY660LMT. It is SO much better than the Garmin in almost every way. It has almost all speed zones correctly mapped. It tells you in English when there is a speed / red light camera approaching. It comes with free lifetime maps which includes free lifetime safety cameras (unlike Garmin which has a patchy camera offering - even when you pay $Au40 per annum for the service). You can even tell it to notify you of overspeed at the limit, 5km/hr over the limit, or 10 km/hr over the limit. The only negatives are that the camera warnings come pretty close to the cameras (100m - 200m), the font they use for street names is pretty small (for my old eyes anyway), and the clarity / quality of the screen is very average when put alongside the Garmin. My son told me that it comes down to whether I want a very smart and reliable GPS that I will mostly listen to (not look at) ... in which case I would choose the Navman OR whether I want a great looking GPS that whilst looking great (and being easy to read) will be misleading as it will be telling me wrong speed limits and relying on me to carefully manipulate and download GPS Data Team files to keep the camera alerts at a believable level. Bugger - I had hoped to have something that looked like the Garmin but functioned like the Navman. Maybe I have to wait for the new Tom Tom Go 6200 (or just sacrifice traffic and buy another Navig8r ... seeing as how I can get the P50 for less than a third of the price of either of these other two ... and with more features in most areas).

Cheers,
Scott

pjrich

Great info Scott. Thanks.

I have no intention of purchasing another SAT Nav. I havea BMW X3 and it has a terrific Satellite Navigation System, so I only use the Garmin for Speed Cameras. Nothing else.

If I cannot get everything sorted out, I will go to the Garmin Web site and get their Speed Camera file that only costs £16.99 per annum.

Kind regards and thanks again.

Mark

GDT

That sounds like an excellent next step. In the meantime, please provide at least one duplicated location and I'll ask our POI Moderators to investigate that file.
Regards

pjrich

Mark wrote:
That sounds like an excellent next step. In the meantime, please provide at least one duplicated location and I'll ask our POI Moderators to investigate that file.
Regards

Mark.

I hope you can see this.

It is on the A4095 in the village of Long Hanborough. About a mile from me. I am just going out to test again.

I would like to help, even if it means experimenting and testing.

Mark

GDT

Post Re: Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files     

ebu44 wrote:

145.0626043 -37.8008123 SPEED CAMERA WARNING - BURKE RD AND HARP RD KEW EAST VIC @60
145.062552 -37.800815 REDLIGHT SPEED CAMERA KEW EAST - HARP RD & BURKE RD; KEW EAST (BALWYN) VIC

Hi Scott,
This look OK to me. That 60 km/h speed camera has been upgraded to a dual function camera. We can easily remove all duplicates but most other users do not mind to have an extra warning for dangerous intersections and locations. Andrew can rewrite our scripts if there is enough public demand.

ebu44 wrote:

145.06224 -37.80077 Camera alert @ 60 This is where the actual camera is mounted
145.062536 -37.800818 Camera alert This is the centre of the intersection
145.0626103 -37.8007703 Camera alert @ 60 This is just past the intersection
145.0626592 -37.8007673 Safety Alert AU - 1236 This is just past the intersection

I'll ask someone to fix that intersection for you.
Regards

Mark

GDT

pjrich wrote:

It is on the A4095 in the village of Long Hanborough. About a mile from me. I am just going out to test again.

Hi Pjrich

1st - remove All-in-one camera file. Keep it only if you do not mind extra alerts.

2nd - you probably downloaded and installed the same file a few times. POI Loader simply add all files without checking for duplicates. Here is quite good POI installation summary: https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/19.html

3rd - please do not experiment too much with our live data. Add/edit/delete POIs only if you are absolutely sure that you know what to do. Is it too complicated: yes, it is. We have some members who are with us more than 10 years and they still don't know how to use our site. Purchasing cameras from Garmin may be the right option for some GPS users.

Regards

pjrich

Mark wrote:
pjrich wrote:

Hi Pjrich

1st - remove All-in-one camera file. Keep it only if you do not mind extra alerts.

1. I have already done this. I have a directory called Safety_Cameras with all my UK base files (safety camera ones) for uploading with the POI loader and I have moved the All-in-one camera file from this base folder. My procedure is to do the following:

a. I use the latest POI Loader to ensure I am connected to my Garmin 2595LM.
b. Then I use the POI Loader to "Remove all previously Custom POIs from your device"
c. Then I use my Windows 7 Pro file manager to view the Garmin internal storage POI folder and ensure that the Safety_Cameras.gpi file has been removed by the POI Loader. It has!
d. I use the POI Loader to access my Garmin again and now I select " Install new custom POIs onto your device"
e. I select the directory listed in paragraph 1 called Safety_Cameras and choose the name Safety_Cameras, Feet and MPH and Express (Recommended).
f. I then click NEXT and upload. No error messages by the way.
g. Then I use my Windows 7 Pro file manager to view the Garmin internal storage POI folder and ensure that the new Safety_Cameras.gpi file has been uploaded by the POI Loader. Making sure the date/time stamp is correct. Everything is correct as it should be.

2. Now to make sure we are all talking the same language and on the same page so to speak, listed below are the csv files that are in my directory and used by the POI Loader to create the gpi file that is on the Garmin.

Accident_Black_Spots-UK
Camera-UK
DS2-UK
GATSO_UK
Mobile_Camera-UK
Monitron-UK
Red_Light_Camera-uk
Redlight_Speed_Camera-UK
SPECS_speed_camera-UK
Speed_camera_20-UK
Speed_camera_30-UK
Speed_camera_40-UK
Speed_camera_60-UK
Speed_camera_70-UK
Truvelo-UK

As you will see there is no All-in-one camera file in the list.

So I jump into my car and drive round locally and there are still 4 copies of the black camera icon at each GATSO location. This is what I mean by test. Just using up diesel fuel not touching the database used by the organisation.

Mark wrote:

2nd - you probably downloaded and installed the same file a few times. POI Loader simply add all files without checking for duplicates. Here is quite good POI installation summary: https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/19.html

No I did not. See the procedure and list above. Only one copy of each csv file and the appropriate icon and bmp files with the same names.

Mark wrote:

3rd - please do not experiment too much with our live data. Add/edit/delete POIs only if you are absolutely sure that you know what to do. Is it too complicated: yes, it is. We have some members who are with us more than 10 years and they still don't know how to use our site. Purchasing cameras from Garmin may be the right option for some GPS users.
Regards

Mark. I am an ex aircraft engineer who used also write technical procedures. This was followed by me getting qualified and being and IT manager for an international company. Given this background I would never ever mess about with the source files and I now understand the ins and outs of this site. Purchasing the Garmin option is my last resort and would like to help and test to see if this 4 icon anomaly can be eradicated.

Regards

Peter

Mark

GDT

Hi Peter,
Our POI moderators had a long night. Can you reload the GATSO file to check if it looks any better.
Regards

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in Installation Support forum Reply to topic Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files
Home > GPS Forum > Installation Support > Discussion
> > >

Goto page
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Permalink: Duplicates in Speed and Red light camera files | Installation Support forum