GPS POI Home POI FilesPOI ToolsPOI MapsGPS ForumSupport
GPS Data Team
ContactFAQSite map

Home > Forums > GPS Software and Gadgets > Mercedes Comand GPX files for Mac

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in GPS Software and Gadgets forum   Reply to topic Mercedes Comand GPX files for Mac

chris.savage.01

GPS: MB COMAND

Post Problem with MC C class W205 & importing POI file     

Hi Team,

Hope someone can assist. I've been trying and failing to get my late 2016 C class with COMAND to import the safety camera data. I have a clean SD card with a root folder called PersonalPOI In the folder, I have placed the .gpx file I downloaded from here. I've been trying the Mercedes 2013 GPX POI format.

I've been using the All Uk camera file. Following on from the earlier post about issues using a Mac and having to charge the encoding, I have tried setting download options for both formats but no joy with either. The car sees the SD card (the option to import Personal POI becomes active) but when I click on the 'OK' when it prompts to insert card with POI data, the dialogue goes away and nothing happens.

Seeing other folk with equally new cars with COMAND managing this OK suggests it is just me doing something wrong/missing something.

Maybe I just need to be patient with it?? Will try again tomorrow and just leave the car in place for a while and see what, if anything, happens. I have enabled Personal POIs in the settings as well.

TFL

Mark

GDT

Post Re: Problem with MC C class W205 & importing POI file     

Sorry Chris, We never tested our MB Comand files with Mac.

You can try:

- create a small test file with our POI Editor for MB.

OR

- download our MB-COMAND (from 2013) GPX files, open it with Text Editor to edit and change... line encoding="iso-8859-2" TO... encoding="UTF-8" and 'saving as' with the options Linebreaks set to 'Windows CRLF' and Encoding (UTF-Cool), as explained here: https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/viewtopic.php?t=7448#23033

Please let me know if it works and we'll fix it on our side for you and all other Mac owners.

I hope it helps

chris.savage.01

Post MB POI problem     

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried the Text Editor option - I don't get any opportunity to change the line breaks setting. I can change the encoding, in fact, as soon as I try and edit iso08859-0 it complains and prompts me to save in a different format. I've looked at all the options/settings/preferences in Texedit that I can find and it makes no mention of options. Might be a version thing I suppose, I'm using OSX 10.12.4 with Textedit 1.12 (329).

So, following that failure, I downloaded BBEdit which offers very comprehensive options, chose UTF-8 and CRLF options....and still no joy. As a final sanity check, I tried saving a POI to the SD card from the car nav and it worked fine, saving a file right next to where I had put the safety camera data so clearly it is happy enough with the SD card.

I think I'll try this whole process using a Windows machine actually and see how that goes. I've got an old XP laptop in the workshop I can try.

I did look at the POI editor but can't make head nor tails of it....

I'll report back once I've tried using a native Windows machine. I did try using the VMWare WinXP virtual machine I run but that didn't seem to help either.

Mark

GDT

Post Re: MB POI problem     

I believe that MB and Apple should make it easier for their customers. However, unit that happens, I'll wait for your feedback. Andrew can easily add any Mac specific format to our Download Zone, Poi Editor and tools.
Regards

chris.savage.01

Post mB POI problem     

Thanks Mark.

Just spotted one small thing, I tried from the start again, fresh download of the file from yourselves with your options set to UTF-8 then loaded the file direct into BBEdit. It shows internally as UTF-8 and appeared to parse properly (where my previous edited version didn't) but I did note that the question mark after "UTF-8" was missing. I've tried adding this...and will now try one more time Wink

chris.savage.01

Post MB POI problem     

Well, I tried the same process but using a 100% native Windows laptop and all is well. POIs appearing fine with the correct icon as selected and I also get the audible warning. There are options to enable/disable this feature in the NAV menus.

So, clearly there is something odd about using a Mac to do this, I wasn't able to make any of the workarounds work for me, although others have. I'm not going to fret about it - I have the Windows machine and likely always will for talking to car ECUs and I've spent long enough in IT to accept that sometimes things just don't work as they should.

Thanks for the help & suggestions along the way.

Happy/10 Smile

Mark

GDT

Post Re: MB POI problem     

Good to hear that you managed to install POIs.
Andrew is ready to apply any required change if your crack the Apple puzzle.
Regards

Your Name

Post Your comments     

Add your comment here:

Post new GPS POI data or GPS devices related topic in GPS Software and Gadgets forum Reply to topic Mercedes Comand GPX files for Mac
Home > GPS Forum > GPS Software and Gadgets > Discussion
> > >

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Permalink: Mercedes Comand GPX files for Mac | GPS Software and Gadgets forum